Saturday, December 13, 2014

"Love is spelled t-i-m-e" - 9/8/14

hey guys! how are you?! things are going good here! they're actually going great! we have some really good things happening in the next few weeks! i don't want to jinx any of it, but just know that Heavenly Father has prepared St Louis to receive the gospel.
So this past week we had Zone Leader Training! It's a meeting where the missionaries in our zone get together and they give trainings on what we can do to help our areas and just how to become better missionaries. they talked about how when we meet with investigators we ALWAYS leave a commitment. Like reading the scriptures, praying, following the word of wisdom, stuff like that. but we talked about how to support our investigators more we need to be keeping the same commitment. of course we don't need to quit smoking or start coming to church, but when we ask them to read the Book of Mormon, why wouldn't we be doing the same? so we have started to get "yoked" with our investigators. The Saviors yoke is easy and His burden is light. We experience that promise when we keep commandments and do what He's asked. This whole thing we talked about at ZLT has kind of changed the way Sister 'Alofaki and i have been working. I feel like instead of just pulling investigators out of a hole, we're helping them. side by side. the way it should be. after all, we are brothers and sisters. it's also made me think a lot about our baptismal covenant. the mourn with those that mourn and comfort those who stand in need of comfort. i don't know if we realize it but so many people are broken around us.
Savior, may I learn to love thee,
Walk the path that thou hast shown,
Pause to help and lift another,
Finding strength beyond my own.
Savior, may I learn to love thee—
Lord, I would follow thee.
Who am I to judge another
When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden
Sorrow that the eye can't see.
Who am I to judge another?
I would be my brother's keeper;
I would learn the healer's art.
To the wounded and the weary
I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother's keeper—
Savior, may I love my brother
As I know thou lovest me,
Find in thee my strength, my beacon,
For thy servant I would be.
Savior, may I love my brother

"in the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see" this line gets to me. it makes my struggles seem small, probably because they are. it reminds me of the compassion the Savior has for each of us. My favorite chapter in the Book of Mormon is 3 Nephi 17, i think it's the perfect example of compassion. Probably because it really shows us how the Savior had compassion and He is our perfect example. but my FAVORITE part is when Christ is about to leave and he tells the Nephites to go home and think about what he's taught, talk about it in their families, you know that kind of stuff. Then He looks at them. The Savior has different eyes than we do, He sees the hurt and just everything they're feeling. After all, he did experience it in Gethsemane.
 And it came to pass that when Jesus had thus spoken, he cast his eyes round about again on the multitude, and beheld they were in tears, and did look steadfastly upon him as if they would ask him to tarry a little longer with them.
 And he said unto them: Behold, my bowels are filled with compassion towards you.
 Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or leprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will heal them, for I have compassion upon you; my bowels are filled with mercy.

Can you imagine what it must have been like to be there? would we be among those who the Savior heals? I would think in some way we would each be healed because we all are a little bit broken. That's okay though, God loves broken things. President Uchtdorf said "love is spelled T-I-M-E" it's so important that we take the time to help others. Have compassion on them. Serve them. Just love them. I'm not perfect at this, none of us are. But we are all kind of a work in progress in terms of becoming like our Savior.

I don't know where i'm going with this whole thing. I just know, with all my heart, that the Savior lives. I know he healed the sick, suffered in Gethsemane, and was resurrected. I know that he did visit the Nephites and that he did look at them with compassion. If i were to say that any of this weren't true it would be like saying that disneyland churros aren't the most delicious things ever. basically is what i'm getting at is the Saviors love is real. and we should all try a little harder to be a little better. and through Christ, it's possible because His yoke is easy and His burden is Light.

I love you all!
hugs and kisses all around! (not real kisses though i'm a sister missionary)


No comments:

Post a Comment